We spend an awful lot of money on our furniture, so it’s easy to understand why we are so protective over it. Many of us don’t allow children to eat near it, and some even cover it in plastic (I think that might just a bit too neurotic for my taste.)
So instead of putting up caution tape around the furniture, there are a few things you can do to make your investment last longer so you can get your money’s worth.
For the couches and chairs:
• Vacuum your furniture regularly. I know this might sound like a no-brainer, but how often have you really done it? You’d be surprised at just how many Cheerios are hiding beneath the cushions.
• Flip the cushions every week. Again, this might sound like something obvious, but it’s something that we just plain forget about. When we see the couch, it just beckons us to sit on it and enjoy its comfort, so sometimes it’s hard to think of anything else.
• Position your furniture away from the direct sunlight. The more that your furniture is in the sun, the more it will fade. Keep your colors vibrant by keeping them in the shade.
• Tend to spills as soon as they happen. Whenever you spill a glass of wine or your daughter spills a plate of spaghetti, it’s best to do something about the stain immediately. Call a professional upholstery cleaner to clean the stain, and while you’re waiting, take a cloth and dab at the spot. NEVER rub or scrub the stain.
• Get your upholstery professionally cleaned. To keep your furniture looking like-new, it’s best to schedule an upholstery cleaning about once every six months, or as needed.
So, sit and enjoy your furniture. Don’t be afraid to get good use out of it!
Pingback: Ten Cleaning Blogs You Should Know About « Angela Says: A Cleaning Blog
That’s an excellent tip! I’ve heard that one before. Just have to make sure that you wipe it up quickly or it could smell pretty gross. :)