Don’t you wish your home was as fresh as the one in the picture? As it turns out, most of our homes aren’t. They don’t even come close.
Researchers say that the quality of air inside our homes is even worse than some of the biggest industrial cities in the world. Talk about a reality check!
So what are we supposed to do about it? Before you get out your gas mask or your Hazmat suit, read a few of these pointers to ease your mind:
1. Use a vacuum with a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter. A HEPA filter gets the air even cleaner because it traps small particles like pollen, which is extremely beneficial for allergy or asthma sufferers. If you find out that you don’t have a vacuum cleaner with this kind of filter, give KIWI a call. We sell a line of them.
2. Keep a low level of humidity in your home to prevent mold growth. To keep a low level of humidity, you can do a few things such as turning on your exhaust fan each time you take a shower or run water, not over watering houseplants, and purchasing a dehumidifier.
3. Don’t smoke inside your home. Although this should be a no-brainer, smoking dramatically affects the quality of your indoor air. So the next time grandpa wants to light up a pipe tobacco in the living room, send it to the porch where it belongs.
4. Don’t use anything but a natural air freshener inside. I know I’ve touted on the use of natural air fresheners before, but it really is so important to know and use in your home! Air fresheners in aerosol cans and the like are extremely toxic and emit horrible things into the environment. Do me and the earth a favor, and just say no! Freshen your home the natural way by opening a window on a nice day, cutting up some lemon slices and placing them in bowls all over the house, or buying a few potted plants to put inside.
5. Place a mat at each entrance into your home and practice a no-shoes policy in the house. The less dirt and dust that’s tracked in, the less it effects your air quality.
6. Consider scheduling an air duct cleaning. Cleaning your air duct system will purify the air in your home and can improve the efficiency of your HVAC system. Your home will feel fresher than ever before after eliminating all the dust and grime in your air duct system.
Aren’t you already starting to breathe easier? Try these tips and breathe the difference.