I could write an entire blog post singing the praises of the amazing and wonderful invention of the washer and dryer. Our ancestors (from not that long ago!) could not even have imagined such a technology. Today, we think of the washer and dryer as a necessity, even a right.
Because we are so beyond lucky to enjoy the technology of the washer and dryer, the least we can do is take proper care of them! If these pieces of machinery are left unattended, they can stop running efficiently and eventually just quit on you.
So to prevent this from happening, follow my step by step guide on how to keep your washer and dryer set young and fresh:
1. Prepare the area around the washer by dusting, removing debris, dragging the laundry basket elsewhere, etc. to get the area completely cleared and ready for cleaning.
2. Mix 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup white vinegar in an empty, clean spray bottle. Spritz the mixture all over the washing machine tub and scrub with a small cleaning brush and/ or toothbrush. To get rid of sticky laundry detergent spots, sprinkle some baking soda and spritz the mixture on top of it. This should produce some fizzle, so don’t be scared. Scrub well with a toothbrush and watch it disappear. Don’t forget to get rid of all the spots on the outside of the washer as well!
3. When you’re done scrubbing, run a warm cycle with 1 cup of white vinegar. Running vinegar in the washer will deodorize and disinfect germs, making your clothes smell lovely.
1. The first thing you need to do when cleaning the dryer is to clean out the lint tray. Remove all the lint and gently scrub with the mixture you previously made. *NOTE: You should remove the lint before EVERY dryer cycle that you run. If you have a lint buildup, your dryer runs less efficiently and you could potentially cause a fire.*
2. Lightly spritz some of your mixture over the top, inside the door and inside the machine. Scrub well. Run a clean, dry towel to collect any excess moisture.
3. For a deeper cleaning, call KIWI Services for a professional dryer vent cleaning. This is truly the best way to maintain efficiency and prevent house fires.
Now with these steps you can go ahead and show your appliances that you love them by giving them a good ol’ fashioned scrubbing!
Pingback: 30 Day Cleaning Challenge | Angela Says
Pingback: Keeping Your Dryer Like New! « Buffalo Real Estate Resource Center
Pingback: How Cleaning (Smart) Saves You Money « Angela Says: A Cleaning Blog